Saturday, June 18, 2011

A Tribute on Father's Day Weekend

"They say that from the instant he lays eyes on her, a father adores his daughter. Whoever she grows up to be, she is always to him that little girl in pigtails. She makes him feel like Christmas. In exchange, he makes a secret promise not to see the awkwardness of her teenage years, the mistakes she makes or the secrets she keeps. " -- Unknown
I have a lot of fond memories of my Dad. We had an instant connection with one another since I was born on my Dad's birthday - August 1st.

My dad posing with his "It's a Girl" sign in our front yard.



He was so excited the day I was born. So many curious friends and family members called him that day to find out if I was a boy, or a girl. So many, that my father decided to paint a sign and stake it in the ground of our front yard, so everyone would know.

Our local newspaper even swung by to take a photo of my dad showing off his handiwork.




My dad as a junior in high school.


My dad is a kind man who has devoted his life to the church, and to his family. I have fond memories of our family vacations including amusement park trips, beach trips, and lots of visits to historic landmarks to learn about our state's history.

We spent countless summers cheering my dad on at various softball games and tournaments in our area. He was the pitcher for several teams, and a great one at that. Later, he became a popular umpire for girls softball, and other tournaments around our area. He didn't put up with any foolishness though. Once he stopped a game to eject a fan who got a little too mouthy, who happened to also be the vice principal of my high school.




Robert C. Propst (1895-1981)


I had some pretty great grandfathers, too. My father's Dad, Rob, was one of the quietest, most patient people I've ever met. He nicknamed me "Tootie-Anne" when I was born, and he always called me this - never my given name. Rob also had a keen talent for naming cats and dogs, a trait my father still continues to this day. 

One time my Grandaddy Propst saved me from an enormous swarm of yellow jackets - a swarm I stirred up by hammering on the front porch. Everyone else in the house was stung repeatedly, but he told me to go upstairs and hide under the bed. I was unscathed.

He passed away in 1981, when I was only 9.



Basil G. Reedy (1914-1986)


My mother's Dad, Basil, introduced me to super-
sweet drinks! You would not believe how many spoonfuls of Tang he would add to a glass of water, or how many spoonfuls of sugar in his coffee.

I remember my Grandaddy Reedy had such a genuine and unconditional love for my grandmother Ruby.

He passed away in 1986, a mere 14 months after my grandmother.










Happy Father's Day Weekend to all the great Daddies out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment